The table of contents for the May 2009 edition of the North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal is as follows:
- "Marriages and Deaths from The Semi-Weekly Raleigh Register, July through December 1852" by Victor T. Jones, Jr.
- "A Bill to Alter Names from 1813" by Craig Roberts Scott, CG
- "1777 Petition of John Smith of Anson County" by Ann Christnacht Hilke, CG, Linda K. Reid, and Terry Moore, CG
- "North Carolina Supreme Court Case: Moore v. Bradley, 1801" by Grace W. Turner and Jeffrey L. Haines, CG
- "North Carolina Supreme Court Case: Hardin v. Barrett, 1858" by Grace W. Turner and Maryann Tuck
- "St. Gabriel's Parish, Duplin County, Wardens' Records, 1799-1817" by Jeffrey L. Haines, CG
- "Petition to Pardon Willie Jones of Greene County, 1842" by Grace W. Turner and Jeffrey L. Haines, CG
The current issues of the NCGS Journal are only available to NCGS members. Consider joining the NCGS today.
Phyllis Matthews Ziller, the Editor of the NCGS News, received first place in "Category 3, Original Research Story" in the 2009 International Society of Family History Writers and Editors Excellence-In-Writing Competition with her story: "Finding Facts to Support a Family Tradition." The award was announced at last week's NGS Family History Conference in Raleigh.
The article is not currently in print anywhere, but we will provide a link to it when it is.
The following article provides some information on accounts and logging in on the new NCGS website.
NCGS Book Review Editor Rhonda Bridges Trueman has resigned due to an impending move to Florida. Rhonda has reviewed books for the Society since 2005 and served on the Board of Directors from 2006 through 2008. Her service is greatly appreciated, and we will miss her ready smile and willingness to help. She has made a valuable contribution to genealogy in North Carolina.
President Ann Basnight has appointed Carrie Henry as the new Book Review Editor. She will begin her duties starting with the August issue of the NCGS Journal.