Web Site Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on The North Carolina Genealogical Society's web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on The North Carolina Genealogical Society's web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by The North Carolina Genealogical Society at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on The North Carolina Genealogical Society's web site are provided "as is". The North Carolina Genealogical Society makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, The North Carolina Genealogical Society does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall The North Carolina Genealogical Society or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on The North Carolina Genealogical Society's Internet site, even if The North Carolina Genealogical Society or a North Carolina Genealogical Society authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on The North Carolina Genealogical Society's web site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. The North Carolina Genealogical Society does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. The North Carolina Genealogical Society may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. The North Carolina Genealogical Society does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
The North Carolina Genealogical Society has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by The North Carolina Genealogical Society of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user's own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to The North Carolina Genealogical Society's web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of North Carolina without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Members (login required) can browse the complete run of the North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal online. .
Editorial Policy: The NCGS Journal seeks to advance North Carolina genealogical scholarship. Carefully researched and well-documented case studies and methodological articles are especially sought. The Journal also publishes transcriptions and abstracts of original documents of North Carolina genealogical significance. Neither the NCGS, its publication committee, nor its editor can assume responsibility for errors on the part of contributors. Corrections of proved errors will appear in subsequent issues of the Journal. All articles in the Journal will be edited with reference to standards set fort in the current editions of The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual, The Chicago Manual of Style, and Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace, by Elizabeth Shown Mills. The editor reserves the right to adapt standards to the needs of this publication.
Manuscripts: Submission of feature articles, source materials, fillers, or any other material for inclusion in the Journal is most welcome. Correspondence concerning editorial matters should be addressed to NCGS Journal Editor, PO Box 30815, Raleigh, NC 27622-0815; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submissions in Microsoft Word, sent via e-mail or on a disk, are preferred.
Book and Media Reviews: Publications submitted for review in this column become the property of the North Carolina Genealogical Society, which donates them to the Genealogical Services Branch of the North Carolina State Library for the use of all patrons. Preferred subject matter includes transcripts or abstracts from unpublished public or private records or some aspect of research methodology having a major bearing on North Carolina or North Carolinians of the past. Family histories and other publications considered as being complementary to North Carolina research may be reviewed. When forwarding copies, please include selling price and any other add-on costs to the consumer (postage, handling, sales tax, etc.) as well as the address to which interested parties may direct their inquiries or orders. Also, if possible, include an e-mail address where you can be reached.
Books are reviewed in the order of their receipt. Due to the large number of new publications, several issues may be published before a review appears. Please submit review copies to: Pamela S. Pearson, 21 Watchung Trail, Somerville, NJ 08876. E-mail contact is: email@example.com.
Back Issues and CD-ROMs: For information on back issues of the Journal on paper as well as CD-ROM collections of the Journal, please visit our web store .